Wednesday 29 April 2020

Dawn service ducks

Hola everyone, Today I have just finished a poem on Anzac day (yes I know I am late...)
but I got inspiration from ducks at the beach that I saw...
here it is:
On Anzac day we remember,
We remember the people who died,
We remember not to make that mistake again
So we stand in the dawn service with pride
But this year is different…
We are stuck on our drive
Yet I am still reminded …

On the beach
Near seaweed trenches
There were ducks in a formal queue 
Watching parades and fighter- jets too!
Performed by birds of all shapes and sizes
While others sing and squawk at food-finding divers
Going home after a long day, 

no need to fight at war hooray!

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Arlo. Wow what an amazing poem! Very emotive and full of great imagery. What a great tribute to our fallen soldiers. I love how you got inspired by the ducks and brought them into your poem. Did you get up early and do to your driveway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, Arlo. I like the way you have written two contrasting poems about the same subject, very original. Do you like writing poetry? My favourite type of poetry is the haiku, it is made up of 3 sentences of 5, 7, aand 5 syllables, pretty easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Arlo
    I love your poem, and I especially like how you have portrayed the ducks and beaches as being like a war zone, and tying them in with the ANZACs. Well done.
    Which beach were you at when you got your inspriation?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.